Thank you for participating in the Erie County Department of Health (ECDOH) COVID-19 Student and Staff Testing Program. Our goal is to return students in Erie County to an in-person learning experience, while also ensuring the safety of all students, faculty, and staff by reducing the risks of COVID-19 disease transmission in school settings.
Please follow the the steps below, in order, to ensure that your child is correctly enrolled in this program.
Step 1: Watch the ECDOH Program Overview Presentation.
Step 2: Watch the Quadrant Program Registration Video. Quadrant is the laboratory we are partnering with to process and analyze the samples collected.
Step 3: Complete and submit the ECDOH Program Consent Form. After you submit the ECDOH Consent Form you will be directed to the Quadrant Consent Form to complete. You must complete both of these forms to participate.
If you have any questions, please contact the ECDOH School Team at (716) 858-1918.
We look forward to working with you.
- COVID-19 Information
Visit the Erie County Department of Health COVID-19 Information site for complete COVID information.
- Videos and Presentations
Presentation: Accessing Testing Resources for Return to School
- Testing Resources for Symptomatic Students
Erie County Department of Health (ECDOH) School Testing Program Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What is surveillance testing?
- Surveillance testing utilizes pooled samples of a certain population for the purpose of monitoring and containing the spread of COVID-19 in a classroom setting
- What is proximal testing?
- Testing for individuals who do not meet close contact criteria but were exposed to COVID-19 in the same room.
- What is pool testing?
- The CDC defines pool testing as combining the same type of specimen from several people and conducting one laboratory PCR test
- How do I give consent for my child to participate?
- You can register your child(ren) by registering on our county website to fill out a consent form. You can choose to have your child participate in surveillance testing, proximal testing, or both. You will then be prompted to go onto Quadrant Biosciences Inc. website to fill out their consent form.
- How do I withdraw consent for my child to be tested?
- This is for people that have already consented and would like to withdraw that consent. Your child/staff is not part of this program until you complete the consent forms. If you have previously consented and would now like to withdraw consent, please send an email to email@example.com and include your child’s full name and date of birth.
- Is this the invasive nasal swab?
- No, this is a self-collected oral swab. Your child will be given a swab and they will swab the inside of their cheek while being supervised by a healthcare professional.
- What type of test is being performed?
- The oral swab being used is a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test.
- How long will results take?
- Test results should be reported within 24 hours from Quadrant Biosciences receiving the swabs. They will be dropped off at the end of each school day.
- Will I be charged for reflex testing?
- No, insurance will be billed for the additional test that will be done if a pool is positive.
- I input my insurance information, will I have a copay or receive a bill from my insurance provider?
- No, all diagnostic COVID-19 tests are required to be covered by insurance with no cost-sharing.
- Will I be notified before my child is tested?
- School districts will have the option to send a letter to parents and guardians to notify them that child will be tested. ECDOH will not be sending letters home to parents and guardians.
- What if my child is absent the day of testing?
- If your child is absent on the day they are scheduled for surveillance testing then they will be tested the following week.