ERIE COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS
Automotive Mechanic – Highways Position # 51017477 – Permanent – Aurora District
Starting Annual Salary: $45,995 (Job grade 9)
The Erie County Department of Public Works is seeking an individual for a position involving repairing and maintaining various types of mechanical and motorized equipment used in the County highway services. Work is performed under the direct supervision of a higher ranking employee, who assigns and reviews work for conformance with regulations. Supervision may be exercised over a small number of laborers and/or assistant mechanics for assignments and mechanical guidance. Does related work as required.
- Inspects the various types of motorized highway equipment for operating conditions in the services of snow plowing and removal, construction, paving, trenching, loading, grading, erection, hauling, and other activities on the highway;
- Performs major and minor repairs on gasoline and diesel equipment such as trucks, loaders; snow plows, mowers, compressors, testing devices , rollers , cement mixers, conveyors , tractors, cranes, shovels and other equipment;
- Makes major repairs to such equipment, such as overhauling engines, transmissions , electrical and ignition systems, grinding valves, body building, installing clutches, piston and rings, rear end drive assemblies, replacing bearings, and hydraulic systems; ·
- Makes minor repairs, adjustments and replacements to equipment such as replacing tires, servicing equipment with water, gas, oil , batteries, greasing pumps, adjusting lights, charging batteries, and cleaning vehicles and equipment;
- Performs emergency road repairs servicing breakdowns on equipment; mounts auxiliary equipment on plows and spreaders; assists with welding am other shop repairs;
- Operates various types of shop equipment including power and hand tools, testing equipment; maintains shop and equipment in clean and orderly condition;
- Requisitions supplies and parts, maintains inventories, keep; records of repairs and equipment for crew chief;
- May supervise helpers, laborers, or less senior mechanics in the repair and maintenance of the various highway equipment as requested by the General Crew Chief, or the Highway District Engineer;
- Performs other duties in connection with the use of equipment in highway services.
Elementary education and two (2) years of automotive mechanical experience, at least one (1) year of which was in the repair and overhaul of heavy motor equipment.
NOTE 1: Specialized training in the repair of automotive or heavy equipment may be substituted for the required one (1) year of general automotive mechanical experience on an equivalent basis, but may not be substituted for the required heavy motor equipment experience.
1. Possession of a valid New York State Commercial Driver's License (CDL) appropriate for Class of vehicle operated.
2. Possession of a valid New York State Motor Vehicle Inspectors License within six (6) months of appointment.
- NYS DOT Pre-employment drug test will be required
- A criminal background investigation will be conducted on applicants prior to hire
- Verifiable part-time and/or volunteer experience will be pro-rated toward meeting full-time experience requirements.
Competitive benefits package includes comprehensive health, dental and vision coverage and NYS retirement.
Interested candidates may forward an original application by July 7, 2022 to:
Tina Bakowski, Principal Personnel Clerk
95 Franklin Street, Room 604
Buffalo, NY 14202
Or, by email to: Tina.Bakowski@erie.gov
Only those whose resumes are being considered will be contacted.
Erie County is an Equal Opportunity Employer