The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) Cooling Assistance Program (CAC) is scheduled to open for the season on May 1, 2023. The program is scheduled to close on August 31, 2023, or when funding for the program is exhausted.
Update for 2023: All applicants are required to provide medical documentation that their medical condition is exacerbated by extreme heat, unless there is a vulnerable member in their household. This is defined as being over the age of 60 or under the age of 6; and documentation of age may be requested.
Please see below for household situations and possible application methods:
- Households that have received a HEAP Regular Benefit of $21 or greater during the current program year (since October 1, 2022); and if the households circumstances have not changed since that benefit. An applicant may get started with Cooling Assistance this season by contacting the department through:
- HEAP Hotline (716-858-7644, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m., Monday through Friday).
- E-mailing HEAPhotline@erie.gov and providing the best contact number for the applicant.
- Faxing (716-858-6765, Attention: HEAP Cooling Team).
- In person, at 460 Main St., Buffalo NY 14202 (8 a.m. - 4 p.m., Monday through Friday).
2. Those who have not yet been approved for a HEAP Regular Benefit within the current program year (since October 1, 2022) or have had changes to their own circumstance since being approved for the Regular HEAP Benefit, can bring their Cooling request through the following methods:
- Complete and sign a HEAP application (LDSS-3421) and HEAP Cooling Assistance Request for Benefit (LDSS-4992).
- Provide ID for each household member.
- Provide documentation of residence.
- Provide documentation of household income (last 30 days of wages/income).
- Provide a valid Social Security Number foe each household member.
- Provide medical documentation that their medical condition is exacerbated by extreme heat.
An individual's total gross monthly income for their household size must be at or below the following guidelines by visiting www.erie.gov\heap.
An applicant may submit an application in the following ways:
- Mailing it to ECDSS HEAP, 95 Franklin St., Buffalo NY 14202, Attention: HEAP Cooling Team.
- Faxing (716) 858-6765, Attention: HEAP Cooling Team.
- Applying in person at 460 Main St., Buffalo, NY 14202, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.
All customers applying should review the participating vendors list and be prepared to select two. This list can be be found Here.