Purpose of the Pharmacist
The purpose of the pharmacist includes activities necessary for preparing, maintaining, storing and dispensing pharmaceuticals and therapeutic devices on the basis of prescription or other legal authority to victims during the acute period following a disaster or critical incident in which a large portion of the populations is affected.
Goal of the Pharmacist
The goal of the pharmacist is to dispense pharmaceuticals and therapeutic devices to people during the acute period following a disaster or critical incident until such time as routine care becomes available.
The pharmacist’s activities at such times will include:
- Dispensing & Vaccination
- Counseling to assure pharmaceuticals are used safely and effectively
- Consulting with doctors, nurses and other health workers on drug therapy
- Assuring proper storage of the pharmaceuticals prior to dispensing
- Maintaining the dispensing area to assure the appropriate environment for the pharmaceuticals and dispensing activities
- Keep records as required by law