Erie County Climate Action is Erie County’s equity-centered Community Climate Action Plan (CCAP) initiative to meet the targets of the New York State Climate Act:
- Reduce community greenhouse gas emissions 85% by 2050
- 100% Zero-emission Electricity by 2040
- 70% Renewable Energy by 2030
Additionally, initiatives in the CCAP will help communities adapt to climate impacts expected to be felt in Erie County (extreme heat, extreme precipitation and flooding, and an increased invasive species). This community-wide initiative to develop and implement a roadmap of actions is using an
innovative planning approach that centers frontline community members and works at the intersection of climate equity, mitigation, and resilience.
The Climate Action Ambassador program encourages Erie County residents to have conversations and share input on how our community can be healthy, sustainable, and resilient. In this program, Ambassadors will gain knowledge to engage with their communities on topics such as equity, communicating climate change and more to help give voice to communities throughout Erie County.
Erie County is looking for community members to join us who:
- Are interested in engaging their community around environmental justice, equity, and/or social justice goals
- Are interested in collaborating with other interested community members, topical experts, and County staff
- Have the ability to view online informational sessions beginning in May, 2021.