Erie County Climate Action is Erie County’s green initiative to implement the equity-centered Community Climate Action Plan. The Plan will identifies actions to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and help the community adapt to our changing climate.
This is your opportunity to tell us your priorities and concerns when it comes to climate action and resilience, County and community practices, and policies related to climate change. Various neighborhoods and groups in Erie County will be impacted differently by climate change. By participating, you can voice specific concerns and priorities for your neighborhood or other communities important to you.
How much time do you have to implement the equity-focused Erie County Community Climate Action Plan?
You can be part of the solution and make your voice heard, even if you only have 1 minute! Below are opportunities where you can help.
Sign up for email updates
Share the opportunity to participate with your community
View and Download the Erie County Climate Action informational flyer
Let's Chat! Meet with the Erie County Department of Environment & Planning, Sustainability Team or Schedule a Presentation
Talk to staff about your questions and ideas for Erie County Climate Action and the Community Climate Action Plan. We love presenting this important initiative and will happily speak at your next event. Email email@example.com to set up.
1 hour per month:
Be an Ambassador. Sign up to be an Erie County Climate Ambassador.
The Erie County Ambassador program encourages residents to have conversations and share input on how our community can be healthy, sustainable, and resilient. Being an Ambassador is a flexible commitment. We ask that you try to host at least three meetings within your community to gain feedback on how we can be healthy, sustainable, and resilient. These meetings can happen in any format that you deem appropriate for your community.
Environmental Organization Resource Guide
Our Climate needs your voice.
Help create a healthier and more resilient Erie County by becoming a Climate Action Ambassador
What’s the Climate Action Ambassador Program?
The Climate Action Ambassador program encourages Erie County stakeholders to have conversations and share their input on how our community can be healthy, sustainable, and resilient. Through this program, Ambassadors can learn more about Erie County’s Community Climate Action Plan (CCAP), topics about climate change, how to talk about climate change, and ways to conduct outreach
Why is this important?
Engaging in conversations and listening to valuable input from Erie County communities are essential to shaping an equity-centered Community Climate Action Plan.
How does it work?
- The program includes a free 5-week training course that asks participants to:
- Complete 3 online modules
- Attend 1 group meeting
- Host 1 outreach event or attend 1 volunteer event
- Participants receive a total of $125 in gift cards
- $50 after completing the 3 online modules and attending 1 group meeting
- $75 after hosting 1 outreach event during training
What happens after training?
- Being a Certified Climate Action Ambassador is a flexible commitment! You are encouraged to hold about 3-5 outreach events per year.
- You will receive a $25 gift card for each outreach event you host, capped at 3 events per year, after completing the training course.
Be a Climate Action Ambassador!
- If you are interested in becoming a Climate Action Ambassador please fill out this sign-up form to receive more information about how to apply.
- You can also scan the QR code on the flyer below to directly apply.
- If you have any questions or feedback, don’t hesitate to reach out to the Erie County Sustainability Coordinator, Tracy Skalski.
CCAP Overview for Ambassadors
How to Talk About Climate Change
Susan Spierre Clark, PhD, Assistant Professor and Chair of Sustainability Graduate Programs at the University of Buffalo, introduces and explains how to effectively communicate climate change:
- The importance of talking climate change (0:58)
- Why it is difficult to talk about climate change (3:05)
- Tips for effective climate change communication (7:00)
- Strategies to include when communicating climate change (13:15)
- Impacts to Western New York (16:11)
- Additional resources (21:57)
Community Ambassadors discuss how we can help build a more healthy & #climate resilient Erie County