ERIE COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF PROBATION
TITLE OF POSITION: Assistant Crime Analyst – Probation (PROVISONAL*)
LOCATION: One Niagara Plaza, Buffalo, NY 14202
SALARY: ($64,347- $93,157) (Job Group 12)
WORK SCHEDULE: MONDAY-FRIDAY; 8:30AM-4:30PM OR 9:00AM-5:00PM
*Please note that this position is a competitive civil service title and will require a civil service examination in the future. After the exam, selection for permanent appointment(s) will be made from reachable candidate(s) on the eligible list according to the NYS Civil Service Rule of Three.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
The position performs work involving data analysis, retrieval, and reporting of statistical information related to criminal activity using report writing and database query software. The work also includes coordinating the Erie County Department of Probation’s functions, both internal and with outside consultants, police agencies and Central Police Services. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Principal Probation Officer or other higher-ranking administrative supervisor. Supervision is not a function of this position. Does related work as required.
A.) Possession of a Bachelor’s degree and three (3) years of experience in Computer Science, MIS, Engineering, or related technical field directly related to the general management, development, and implementation systems in the criminal justice field; or:
B.) Possession of an Associate’s degree and five (5) years of experience in Computer Science, MIS, Engineering, or related technical field directly related to the general management, development, and implementation systems in the criminal justice field; or:
C.) An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of (A) and (B) above.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: DCJS Certification as a NYS Crime Analyst must be obtained within one year of appointment.
NOTE: Verifiable part-time and/or volunteer experience will be pro-rated toward meeting full-time experience requirements.
SAMPLE WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Monitors data input to insure integrity;
- Writes and maintains statistical procedure documentation;
- Advises supervisor of current trends and directions regarding criminal information systems, evaluating and recommending equipment and implementing strategies;
- Maintains effective communications with data processing supervisor and required staff to assure correct input and output reporting;
- Makes recommendations for enhancement of current procedures and for problem solving;
- Works with county data processing personnel as required.
- Develop intel from social media on active probationers related to weapons and gun activity;
- Analyzes GPS location data on individuals on probation supervision;
- Prepares shooting packets for probation department functions;
- Maps address locations for Gun Involved Violence Elimination (GIVE) partners;
- Prepares reports and analyzes data of probation gun offenders as requested for GIVE partners in GIVE jurisdictions;
- Related work as required;
- Tracks arrest data on custom notification participants.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to:
Richard Robillard, Commissioner Erie County Probation Department
1 Niagara Plaza - Room 112; Buffalo, NY 14202
This notice will be posted from November 20, 2023, through and including November 29, 2023.
Applications received after 4:00 P.M., November 29, 2023, will not be considered.
Erie County is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to workplace diversity.