ERIE COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS
Code Compliance Officer – Position # 51017128 ** Provisional
Rath Building Mon-Fri Days
Starting Annual Salary: $ 53,495 (Job Grade 10 - CSEA)
The Erie County Department of Public Works Buildings & Grounds Division is seeking an individual for work that involves code compliance administration for all existing and new construction projects for County facilities. This position also includes review and knowledge of all facets of the NYS Uniform Building Codes, including Fire Safety, ADA and other code requirements necessary to be compliant with the NYS guidelines. Work is performed under the direct supervision of a higher-level supervisory or administrative employee. Supervision may be exercised over other lower-level administrative or clerical personnel. Does related work as required.
- Maintain a working knowledge of all building mechanical, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, life safety, fire protection and security systems of County facilities in order to ensure compliance with building codes and regulations and advise appropriate personnel of any conditions that need remediation;
- Work with staff to develop goals and execute reports in support of the County's objectives;
- Oversee all new construction and renovation projects to ensure code compliance in all County facilities;
- Oversee all inspectors to ensure annual inspections are complete and required reports are generated and filed with NYS as necessary;
- Inspect facilities as necessary and generate reports of inspection results;
- Participate in management meetings as required by immediate supervisor;
- Write and finalize permits, code violations and annual reporting to the State for County-owned facilities;
- Ensure conformance with all existing and newly-issued NYS code requirements and any other new laws requiring County compliance;
- Work with appropriate personnel to ensure that County maintains code compliance for the safety of building occupants and visitors.
A) Graduation from a regionally accredited or NYS registered college or university with a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Architecture or related field and five (5) years of commercial real estate experience, including construction and code compliance, of which three (3) years were related to Building Construction, Construction Inspection and/or Construction Management; or
B) Seven (7) years of experience as a construction manager, code compliance officer, and/or inspector at a commercial facility, of which five (5) years were related to Building Construction, Construction Inspection and/or Construction Management; or
C) An equivalent combination of education and experience as defined by the limits of (A) and (B).
- Possession of a valid NY State driver's license;
- Computer skills: Proficient in Windows, Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer and Autocad.
- Certified Code Enforcement Official through the New York Department of State (NYDOS) prior to appointment is a plus. If not certified at the time of appointment, it will be expected that the appointed person obtains Certified Code Enforcement Official status through NYDOS at the earliest availability of the training course through NYDOS within 12 months of appointment.
*Please note that this position is a competitive civil service title and will require a civil service examination in the future. After the exam, selection for permanent appointment(s) will be made from reachable candidate(s) on the eligible list according to the NYS Civil Service Rule of Three.
Competitive benefits package includes comprehensive health, dental and vision coverage and NYS retirement.
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a cover letter, application and resume by July 7, 2022 to:
Tina Bakowski, Principal Personnel Clerk
95 Franklin Street - Rm. 604
Buffalo, New York 14202
Or, by email to: Tina.Bakowski@erie.gov
Only those whose resumes are being considered will be contacted.
Erie County is an Equal Opportunity Employer