ERIE COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL SERVICES
PROVISIONAL* & TEMPORARY
DEPARTMENT: SOCIAL SERVICES/YOUTH SERVICES-AFSCME
TITLE OF POSITION: DETENTION FACILITY SECURITY GUARD – FULL-TIME
POS. #2964 & #51016805 Provisional*
POS. # 2962 & #2965 - Temporary
LOCATION: YOUTH DETENTION; 810 EAST FERRY, BUFFALO
SALARY: $18.47 HOURLY
*Please note that this position is a competitive civil service title and will require a civil service examination in the future. After the exam, selection for permanent appointment(s) will be made from reachable candidate(s) on the eligible list according to the NYS Civil Service Rule of Three.
Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and:
A.) Completion of a minimum of 60 semester credit hours from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a major in Criminal Justice, Law Enforcement, Police Science or closely related field; or:
B.) One (1) year of experience as a security guard, military policeman or law enforcement officer; or:
C.) An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of (A) and (B).
- Registration as a Security Guard by the State of New York, Department of State, Division Licensing Services; and
- Section 424-a of the Social Services Law requires the local social services district to inquire whether the applicant is the subject of an indicated child abuse or maltreatment report on file with the State Central Registry of Child Abuse and Maltreatment.
- All potential employees for the position will be required to sign the necessary clearance form prior to being advised that they will be hired. Refusal to sign will be cause for an automatic non-selection.
- Subject to background investigation and fingerprinting for appointment. (Applicant may be required to submit the necessary fees for the fingerprint processing.)
- As required by law or statue, subject to medical examination including tuberculin (TB) test, at time of appointment and throughout period of employment when assigned to Youth Services.
NOTE: Verifiable part-time and/or volunteer experience will be pro-rated toward meeting full-time experience requirements.
If interested and meet the above qualifications, please send an employment application** and cover letter to:
Tina Hetrick, Senior Data Processing Control Clerk
Erie County Youth Detention Facility, 810 E. Ferry Street, Buffalo, NY 14211
or email: Tina.Hetrick@erie.gov
** Application found on the Erie County Website:
Erie County is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to workplace diversity.