ERIE COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL SERVICES
DEPARTMENT: SOCIAL SERVICES/YOUTH SERVICES-AFSCME
TITLE OF POSITION: DETENTION FACILITY SECURITY GUARD – PT
LOCATION: YOUTH DETENTION
SALARY: $17.848 HOURLY
The work involves providing security for the Erie County Detention Facility and facility property to ensure the protection of employees, residents and the visiting public. This is a para-professional security position responsible for patrolling and monitoring the activities within Detention facilities to identify and prevent crimes and other disorders. The incumbent is responsible for identifying potentially dangerous situations and taking appropriate action to prevent or minimize damage to County property and injury to employees, residents and visitors. The incumbent receives direct supervision from higher-ranking security or administrative employees but must exercise judgment in emergency situations or when supervision is not available. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Patrols County buildings and adjoining areas to ensure the security of employees, visitors and property;
- Observes parking lots and other areas adjoining County buildings with TV cameras;
- Operates electrical equipment such as, but not limited to, circuit television monitors, fire alarm systems, radio communication systems, typewriters, telephones, microfiche equipment and computers;
- Makes citizens arrests of individuals breaking the law;
- Removes disorderly persons from premises;
- Inspects buildings and grounds for potential fire hazards or other security problems;
- Conducts searches of the facilities as required when threatening situations occur, such as bomb threats, etc.;
- May conduct investigations concerning losses of property, completing the required reports;
- Performs daily duties such as logging incidents;
- Responds to alarms of fire and performs duties necessary to protect life and property, which may include the use of fire suppression apparatus and evacuation of residents and staff;
- Responds to emergency situations within the facility and controls vehicles and/or pedestrian traffic;
- May perform duties relative to safety and fire protection, such as, safety inspections of equipment and the physical plant and immediate correction of hazards;
- Furnishes information and assistance to visitors, contractors, employees and residents;
- Enforces the facility’s Policy and Procedures as directed by Administrative Staff.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
Good knowledge of the practices and procedures used to ensure the maintenance or order and security in a facility; good knowledge of law enforcement regulations pertaining to theft, assault, trespass and harassment; working knowledge of fire safety practices; skilled in the use of first aid; skilled in the use of fire extinguishers and related fire fighting equipment; ability to speak clearly; ability to be firm with visitors, clients and employees; ability to maintain harmonious relations with the public; ability to spend long periods of time standing or walking; willingness to work nights or other unusual shifts; tact; courtesy; dependability; strength and agility; capable of performing the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and:
- Completion of a minimum of 60 semester credit hours from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a major in Criminal Justice, Law Enforcement, Police Science or closely related field; or:
- One (1) year of experience as a security guard, military policeman or law enforcement officer; or:
- An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of (A) and (B).
- Registration as a Security Guard by the State of New York, Department of State, Division Licensing Services; and
- Section 424-a of the Social Services Law requires the local social services district to inquire whether the applicant is the subject of an indicated child abuse or maltreatment report on file with the State Central Registry of Child Abuse and Maltreatment.
- All potential employees for the position will be required to sign the necessary clearance form prior to being advised that they will be hired. Refusal to sign will be cause for an automatic non-selection.
- Subject to background investigation and fingerprinting for appointment. (Applicant may be required to submit the necessary fees for the fingerprint processing.)
- As required by law or statue, subject to medical examination including tuberculin (TB) test, at time of appointment and throughout period of employment when assigned to Youth Services.
NOTE: Verifiable part-time and/or volunteer experience will be pro-rated toward meeting full-time experience requirements.
If interested and meet the above qualifications, please send a resume and cover letter to:
Tina Hetrick, Senior Data Processing Control Clerk
Erie County Youth Detention Facility, 810 E. Ferry Street, Buffalo, NY 14211
or email: Tina.Hetrick@erie.gov