ERIE COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENT AND PLANNING
Geographic Information Services (GIS) Intern
$17.682 per hour
GIS Intern Position
The Erie County Department of Environment and Planning – Environmental Compliance Services Division is actively seeking a full-time Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Intern for our downtown Buffalo office. The internship is expected to last 19 weeks starting in March 2023. Salary is $17.682 per hour.
Funding for this position is provided by the New York State Department of State under Title 11 of the Environmental Protection Fund. Work will be focused on assisting with the development of a Watershed Management Plan for the Niagara River/ Lake Erie Watershed. We strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply.
The GIS Intern will work closely with the Environmental Compliance Services Division and the Office of Geographic Information Services to perform entry-level tasks related to GIS data development, data visualization, data analysis, map production, and work with online mapping applications, including:
- Working as a team member on projects under direct supervision and mentorship
- Developing data summaries of field data using a template
- Developing field maps and updating report maps
- Assisting with GIS data organization
- Assisting with geospatial analysis
- Assisting with online GIS application development tasks
- Recently graduated from or currently enrolled in good academic standing in a Bachelors’ or Masters’ Degree program in GIS, Geography, Environmental Science, Planning or related field at an accredited University or College; minimum of 3 years of coursework completed.
- Minimum 3.2 GPA
- One year of experience with geographic concepts or GIS software in course labs or projects. Recent experience or coursework with any of the following is a plus: ESRI ArcGIS and ArcGIS Online platforms, basic ESRI ArcGIS Online application design, GPS, database creation and design, cartographic design, and/or Microsoft Power BI.
- Must be capable of the basic operation of a Windows-based personal computer and have a basic familiarity of Microsoft Office including Word and Excel.
- Must effectively communicate orally and in writing.
Please email a cover letter and resume to Joanna.Panasiewicz@erie.gov by February 21,2023.
Erie County is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to workplace diversity.