ERIE COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS
Motor Equipment Operator – Position #’s 6552 & 51015541 - Permanent
Clarence District Mon-Fri 7am-3pm
Starting Annual Salary: $42,001 (Job grade 5)
The Erie County Department of Public Works is seeking an individual for a position involving operating a variety of self-propelled equipment in the construction, repair and maintenance of highways and bridges, and maintain their equipment by performing specific routine maintenance tasks. Motor equipment operators (MEO's), as members of a work crew, are characterized by both the performance of laboring tasks and the operation of self-propelled equipment such as all trucks, front end loaders, backhoes; road graders, tractor mowers, rollers, bituminous sprayers, catch basin cleaners, self-propelled loaders and snowplows with or without wing attachments, sanders, rotary snow plows, self-propelled sweepers, bulldozers, bituminous pavers, pavement striper, and widener. Incumbents may act as a lead worker in a small crew providing advice and assistance to crewmembers. Incumbents are supervised by a Crew Chief or similar level supervisor. Does related work as required.
- Operates one or more of the machines mentioned above for highway and bridge construction, repair and maintenance projects;
- Performs tasks indigenous to assigned machine according to instructions received from supervisor;
- Operates a bituminous paver, rollers, self-propelled sweepers, and front end loaders;
- Operates all trucks to transport material crews, or equipment;
- Operates trucks with plow, wing and spreader attachments to simultaneously plow snow and control ice;
- Operates a Vactor truck to remove dirt and debris from catch basins and drop inlets;
- Maintains daily record of work performed and materials used;
- Performs routine maintenance and repairs on machine, both in-the-field and in-the-shop, to insure safe and efficient operations including washing, adding or changing fluids, changing spark plugs, filters, tires and other minor equipment;
- Assists mechanic and blacksmith in equipment repair;
- May operate the lo-boy tractor-trailer unit.
- Performs tasks and activities listed for Laborer class;
- Picks up and delivers tools, requisitions, vouchers, parts, purchase orders, payrolls, etc., as required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Six (6) months of work experience in the operation of self-propelled highway maintenance equipment noted above.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Possession of a valid New York State Commercial Driver's License (CDL) appropriate for Class of vehicle operated.
A criminal background investigation will be conducted on applicants prior to hire.
Competitive benefits package includes comprehensive health, dental and vision coverage and NYS retirement.
Interested candidates may forward an original application by September 29, 2023 to:
Tina Bakowski, Principal Personnel Clerk
95 Franklin Street - Rm. 604
Buffalo, New York 14202
Only those whose resumes are being considered will be contacted.
Erie County is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to workplace diversity