ERIE COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS
Principal Engineer Assistant – position # 51009685 *Permanent
Starting Annual Salary: $ 47,459 (Job Grade 8 - CSEA)
The Erie County Department of Public Works Highways Division is seeking an individual for work that involves assisting civil/sanitary engineers by compiling data, making surveys and inspections, preparing drawings, reviewing engineering submittals, assisting in evaluations, and assisting in designs. The incumbent performs the most difficult, complex and responsible pre-professional engineering tasks. Work is performed under the general supervision of a civil/sanitary engineer. Supervision is exercised over a small number of personnel performing either field or office tasks. Does related work as required.
- Prepares drawings, maps, tracings, specifications and other graphic presentations of projects and programs;
- Create and manage GIS (geographic information systems) databases of highway assets, working in ARCGIS Pro.
- Participates in and/or compiles data for survey parties and engineers;
- Makes engineering computations, both manually and through the use of a computer;
- Searches records for data on properties, easements, rights of way and the like;
- Assists in construction project layouts;
- Makes inspections of projects and programs, reviewing findings with an engineer;
- Makes routine tests and compiles data;
- Represents the engineer on construction projects;
- Carries out tests of materials to ensure conformance to specifications;
- May be required to perform routine computer operation and programming;
- Prepares drawings and maps utilizing a AUTOCAD and other GIS base software
- Performs other engineering tasks associated with the review, evaluation, design, and/or construction of projects.
A.) Completion of a minimum of 60 semester credit hours of study at a regionally accredited or New York State registered four (4) year college or university, which includes 16 semester credit hours in Civil, Environmental, Mechanical, Sanitary, or related Engineering Technology or Construction Management; or:
B.) Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and two (2) years of practical experience in civil, environmental, mechanical, sanitary or related engineering field or construction experience primarily concerned with subsurface utilities; or:
C.) An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of (A) and (B).
If assigned to the Highway Division of the Department of Public Works, must possess a NICET Level II certificate in Highway Construction, Design, Maintenance, or Survey, issued by the National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies at the time of permanent appointment.
NOTE: Verifiable part-time and/or volunteer experience will be pro-rated toward meeting full-time experience requirements.
*Please note that this position is a competitive civil service title and selection for permanent appointment(s) will be made from reachable candidate(s) on the eligible list according to the NYS Civil Service Rule of Three.
Competitive benefits package includes comprehensive health, dental and vision coverage and NYS retirement.
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a cover letter, application and resume by July 7, 2022 to:
Tina Bakowski, Principal Personnel Clerk
95 Franklin Street - Rm. 604
Buffalo, New York 14202
Or, by email to: Tina.Bakowski@erie.gov
Only those whose resumes are being considered will be contacted.
Erie County is an Equal Opportunity Employer