ERIE COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS
Senior Civil Engineer – Position # 51016902 *Provisional
Rath Building Mon-Fri Days
Starting Annual Salary: $ 79,140 (CSEA Job Grade 14)
*Civil Service Competitive position, exam date to be determined. Selection for permanent appointment(s) will be made from reachable candidate(s) on the eligible list according to the NYS Civil Service Rule of Three.*
The Erie County Department of Public Works Highways Division is seeking an individual for advanced professional engineering work in rendering opinions and decisions on technical aspects of a wide variety of subjects. The incumbent will make field surveys to investigate and evaluate various engineering projects. Work is performed under the general direction of a higher-level administrative employee. Supervision may be exercised over a number of engineering and/or technical personnel. Does related work as required.
- Reviews and makes comments on specific engineering studies
- Directs and investigates planning and layout of various engineering projects
- Coordinates engineering studies with Federal, State and other agencies
- Assists in developing policy on research and engineering for the department
- Interprets Federal guidelines and requirements as related to utility projects to confirm procedures and information necessary to satisfy Federal agencies
- Makes field surveys to collect data and make evaluations
- Prepares costs estimates for construction projects
- Directs the inspection of major construction projects
- Assigns and directs survey teams
- Supervises the preparation of right-of-way acquisition maps
- Supervises the design of highway and bridge projects
A.) Possession of a Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering and five (5) years of civil engineering experience, at least one (1) year of which must have been in a supervisory capacity; or:
B.) Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and nine (9) years of civil engineering experience, at least one (1) year of which must been in a supervisory capacity; or:
C.) An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of (A) and (B).
NOTE 1: A Master's degree in Civil Engineering may be substituted for one (1) year of the required civil engineering experience, but may not be substituted for the required supervisory experience.
NOTE 2: Verifiable part-time and/or volunteer experience will be pro-rated toward meeting full-time experience requirements
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Possession of New York State Professional Engineer license within one (1) year of permanent appointment.
Competitive benefits package includes comprehensive health, dental and vision coverage and NYS retirement.
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a cover letter and resume by December 18, 2023 to:
Tina Bakowski, Principal Personnel Clerk
95 Franklin Street - Rm. 604
Buffalo, New York 14202
Only those whose resumes are being considered will be contacted
Erie County is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to workplace diversity