The HEAP Cooling Assistance Program (CAP) component, which opened for the season on May 1, 2023, was closed on July 14, 2023 due to funding for the program being exhausted.
All applicants were required to provide medical documentation that their medical condition is exacerbated by extreme heat, unless there is a vulnerable member in their household. This is defined as being over the age of 60 or under the age of six; and documentation of age may be requested.
Please see below for household situations and possible application methods:
- Households that have received a HEAP Regular Benefit of $21 or greater during the current program year (since October 1, 2022), and who have not had household circumstances changed since that benefit was issued. An applicant may get started with Cooling Assistance this season by contacting the department through the following ways:
- HEAP Hotline, at (716) 858-7644, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- E-mailing HEAPhotline@erie.gov and providing the best contact number.
- Faxing (716) 858-6765, Attention: HEAP Cooling Team.
- Applying in person at 460 Main St., Buffalo NY 14202, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.
2. Those who have not yet been approved for a HEAP Regular Benefit within the current program year (since October 1, 2022) or have incurred changes to their own circumstance since being approved for that benefit may provide their Cooling request through the following methods:
- Completing and signing a HEAP application (LDSS-3421) and HEAP Cooling Assistance Request for Benefit (LDSS-4992).
- Providing ID for each household member.
- Providing documentation of residence.
- Providing documentation of household income for the last 30 days of wages/income.
- Providing a valid Social Security Number for each household member.
- Providing medical documentation that their medical condition is exacerbated by extreme heat.
An individual's total household gross monthly income for their household size must be at or below the following guidelines, which are also available at www.erie.gov\heap,:
2022-2023 HEAP Eligibility Guidelines --
|Household Size||Maximum Gross Monthly Income|
|Each additional person||Add $590|
An applicant can apply in the following ways:
- Mailing it to ECDSS HEAP, 95 Franklin St., Buffalo, NY 14202, Attention: HEAP Cooling Team.
- Faxing it to (716) 858-6765, Attention: HEAP Cooling Team.
- Applying in person at 460 Main St., Buffalo, NY 14202, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.
All customers applying should review the participating vendors list and be prepared to select. The list can be viewed Here.