Erie County will be holding three HHW special collection events in 2022; we will be posting those events on this site and you will be able to reserve a time slot for the events approximately 30 days prior.
If you do not want to wait for a collection event, the HHW Drop-off Voucher Program enables residents to schedule a drop-off of up to 50 lbs. of household hazardous waste at no charge at a hazardous waste facility in Tonawanda. (See Option 1 below)
Please join our Mailing List <click here> to be notified of HHW events and other programs.
To contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
OPTION 1: Erie County HHW Drop-off, Hazman Voucher
(click the above link to make a reservation)
Erie County is introducing a free program allowing Erie County residents to bring up to 50-lbs. of acceptable household hazardous waste to Hazman in Tonawanda, NY.
If you bring more than 50-lbs or items not listed as acceptable, there will be additional charges.
Commercial, Business or Farm Waste is not included. Household Hazardous Waste only.
For example, there may be a charge for Latex paint (water-based).
Unacceptable Voucher Items/Additional Fees:
- Exceedance over 50-lbs. subjected to $0.75/lb. Fee.
- Latex Paint - $0.75/lb. Fee.
- Electronics - $0.50/lb. Fee.
- Fire Extinguishers - $15.00/unit Fee.
- Propane Tanks - $5.00/unit Fee.
- Tires - $10.00/unit Fee.
For more information or to make an appointment visit www.hazmanusa.com/calendar or call Hazman (716) 998-8073. If you call, Please mention the "Erie County Voucher Program".
OPTION 2: Special Collection Events
by appointment only
Our next scheduled special collection will be on Saturday, October 8, 2022.
The appointment-only, drive-thru event will be held in the City of Buffalo.
Registration for this event will open on September 8, 2022.
Appointments are limited and will be scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis. The specific location for the event will be provided during the scheduling process.
Please join our Mailing List <click here> to be notified of other HHW events and other programs.
To contact us: email@example.com or call (716) 858-6800
Due to COVID-19 the events may be changed or cancelled.
Special Collection Events
Acceptable Materials List
- waste automotive fluids
- brake & transmission fluids;
- Paints, Solvents, etc.:
- oil-based paints,
- latex paint
- paint strippers and thinners,
- Stains and varnishes
- spray paints,
- kerosene & other solvents;
- Pesticides, chemicals, etc.:
- fertilizers and
- pool chemicals;
- Mercury and any Mercury containing devices such as thermometers or thermostats.
- Small Propane cylinders (1lb. camping)
Unacceptable Materials List
- 20lb Propane Tanks
- Alkaline Batteries. These are safe to dispose of in your trash. More information on batteries is available through the Earth 911 website.
- Electronic Waste/ Televisions
- Medical Waste/ Medications
- Asbestos. View the New York State rules on asbestos regulation.
- Explosives, Ammunition and Gun Powder - contact your local police department.
- Smoke Detectors (radioactive materials) - for information call First Alert at 1-800-323-9005.
- Cooking oils - call Darling International at (716) 895-0655 for disposal of cooking oils
- Syringes/Needles - visit the Erie County Department of Health Needle Disposal & Access page
- Tires - should be disposed of at any retail tire dealer (a nominal disposal fee may apply).
- Cylinders of compressed gases, such as (but not limited to): - oxygen, acetylene, helium, carbon dioxide, freons, other refrigerant gases, etc.
- Fluorescent light bulbs or ballasts.
- (For year-round battery disposal information, visit Call2Recycle.org)
In addition, Commercial, Business or Farm Waste is not accepted.
Erie County's hazardous waste disposal program for Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators may be a suitable option to dispose of these materials.