New mothers are faced with many decisions. Deciding how to feed their child is one that requires support. Breastfeeding has many benefits for both the mother and child. Breastfeeding mothers and their children have a reduced risk of illness, chronic diseases and certain cancers.
Promoting breastfeeding is a high priority strategy adopted by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) to improve maternal and child health. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that infants are exclusively breastfed for the first 6 months. At 6 months, mothers are encouraged to introduce solid foods and continue to breastfeed until the baby is at least 12 months.
In Erie County our goal is to work with hospitals, doctor’s offices, worksites and community organizations to support nursing mothers.
Breastfeeding Friendly Initiatives
- Breastfeeding Reports and Publications
- Breastfeeding Promotion, Protection, and Support
- Breastfeeding Information for Health Care Providers
- Mother’s Rights to Breastfeed or Express Breast Milk
- WIC Breastfeeding Information for Health Care Providers
- Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care
- Breastfeeding Bill of Rights
- How to get your family on board with breastfeeding
- Maternal Health Programs and Activities
- Maternal and Child Health Bureau
- Maternal and Child Health Objectives
- Maternal, Newborn, and Child Survival
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation Maternal, Newborn, & Child Health
- IMPROVE Initiative to reduce pregnancy-related deaths
- Awareness campaign for Breastfeeding
- YoMingo: Kaleida Health offers this free anytime, anywhere parent education program designed to give parents convenient access to valuable information, tools and support you need at every stage of pregnancy through the first year of infancy. For participants delivering at a Kaleida’s Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital or Oishei Children’s Hospital information specific to their arrival and stay will be available on YoMingo. YoMingo is available on any device with an internet connection and also as a mobile app called “myYoMingo”. Get Connected at YoMingo.
95 Franklin Street
Buffalo, NY 14202
Phone: (716) 858-7277
Fax: (716) 858-7964