- NY Sate Press Releases
- Erie County Press Releases
- Erie County Homeland Security and Emergency Services Website
- ECDOH Press Releases
- Check your city, town or village website
- Code Blue Shelters will be open for people in need of emergency shelter; Dial 211 anytime of day or night for assistance
- NYS Thruway Authority Website
Protect Yourself, Your Family and Your Pets
- Ready Erie App informs and prepares Erie County residents for emergencies. Receive notifications, locate emergency shelters, view up-to-date evacuation maps, create a personalized emergency preparedness plan & more.
- Your personal health and safety can be in jeopardy during extreme winter cold. When temperatures drop and as wind speed increases, heat can leave your body quickly and can lead to serious health problems. Problems such as hypothermia, frostbite, heart disease and carbon monoxide poisoning can happen. If you are experiencing symptoms of any of these call 911 Immediately.
- Seniors are especially at risk for cold weather illness. Visit the Department of Senior Services website for information on emergency preparedness for seniors.
Please contact your veterinarian for any questions you have regarding your pets.
- American Veterinary Medical Association - Cold Weather Pet Safety
- SPCA of America - Cold Weather Safety Tips
- Humane Society of the US - Protect Your Pet During Winter and Cold Weather
- If you see someone in need, call 211 to have an outreach team dispatched
- To receive Code Blue updates for the City of Buffalo, text CodeBlueBuffalo to 898-211
- WNY Coalition for the Homeless
- Homeless Alliance of WNY
- Code Blue Relief Mission (Facebook Page)
- Buffalo City Mission - 100 E Tupper St., Buffalo, NY 14203, (716) 854-8181
- St. Luke’s Mission of Mercy - 325 Walden Ave., Buffalo, NY 14211, (716) 894-4476
Help for Restaurant Owners
Help for Homeowners
- Don't Be Left in the Dark - Weathering Floods, Storms and Power Outages
- Preparing Your House and Car for Winter
- Chainsaw Safety
- Carbon Monoxide (CO) – The Silent Killer
- Take Steps to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Generator Safety and Quick Guide to Generator Safety
- Space Heater Safety
- Erie County needs your help to name our snowplows! Use the form to submit your best and most creative snowplow name. Submissions are due by November 30, 2022 at 12:00 pm.
Additional Winter Safety Resources
11/19/2022 - 9:56 am