95 Franklin Street, Room 449
Buffalo, New York 14202
Phone: (716) 858-8953
Fax: (716) 858-2888
Hours of Operation: 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Applications for Day Care Assistance can be made remotely. Application packets and supporting documents can be mailed to Day Care Assistance, 95 Franklin St, Buffalo, NY 14202. Applications are available through the following links:
Required Supporting Documentation for Day Care Assistance Applications:
- 8 paystubs or an employers statement for new employment(start date, hourly rate and hours and schedule)
- Verification of residence and household composition (Shelter Verification Form, lease, collateral verification form)
- Completed child support form
- Child Care Questionnaire (B-3923)
Low-income child care assistance is available to employed families who earn 300 percent or less of the Federal Poverty Level. Parents contribute toward the cost of care based on a sliding income scale.
All eligible families with incomes up to 300 percent of the Federal Poverty Level are able to submit a new application for child care subsidy. Parents are encouraged to submit all pending documentation and re-certification applications by the assigned due date, to maintain enrollment in the Child Care Subsidy Program.
Child day care assistance is authorized for eligible individuals through a variety of programs outlined below. Each program determines method of payment, required paperwork and who to contact with questions and problems.
- Temporary Assistance Child Care: is available to recipients of cash benefits who are also employed or engaged in an approved work activity, vocational or educational training program. Temporary Assistance recipients should contact their caseworker or employment counselor to discuss child care assistance eligibility.
- Transitional Child Care Assistance: is available to recipients of Temporary Assistance who become ineligible for cash benefits due to earned income. Transitional Child Care is guaranteed for 12 months after case closing if the working family earns less than or equal to a designed percentage of the State Income Standard (which is based on the Federal Poverty Level and subject to change). Parents contribute to the cost of care according to a sliding scale based on their household income.
- Non-Temporary Assistance Child Care (Subsidy Program): is available to working families who earn less than or equal to a designated percentage of the State Income Standard. Parents contribute to the cost of care according to a sliding scale. Assistance is also available to teen parents attending high school. For information about Non-Temporary Assistance Child Care, contact the Erie County Day Care Unit at (716) 858-8953 (TYKE). The Day Care Unit is located on the fourth floor of the Rath Building, Room 449, 95 Franklin Street, Buffalo NY 14202.
- Preventive/Protective Services Child Care: is available to recipients of Children Services when child care is mandated as part of a family's service plan. For information about this type of child care, contact Children's Services at (716) 858-8349.
For information about child care eligibility, program requirements or questions regarding available providers, please call  858-TYKE [858-8953]
-- Effective March 2023, the NYS Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) announced the launch of the CCAP Eligibility Questionnaire to allow parents and caretakers to answer questions related to CCAP eligibility. The questionnaire can be accessed by visiting http://hs.ocfs.ny.gov/CCAPeligibility/ or visiting the OCFS CCAP website at https://ocfs.ny.gov/programs/childcare/ccap/ and clicking on "Do I qualify for CCAP."
Important Telephone Numbers:
Child Care Resource Network
100 Hertel Avenue
Buffalo, New York 14216
NYS Office of Children and Family Services
Child Care Licensing and Information
295 Main Street
Buffalo, New York 14202
Erie County Day Care Unit
95 Franklin Street, Room 448, Buffalo, New York 14202
For Vendors seeking lost or stolen checks:
Erie County Department of Contract Compliance
- Manual on Child Care Policy, Procedures and Billing
- Individual Application for Child Care Assistance
- Day Care Application Instructions and other information
- Child Care Payment Questionnaire
- Day Care Providers
- Eligibility Guidelines & Payment Procedures
- Special Needs Statement - Relative to the Provision of Day Care (B-3962)