Black Rock Canal offers a variety of activities. Visitors can walk, rollerblade or bicycle along the paved trail. Dog owners are able to take their dogs to the new off leash Bark Park. There is also a free boat launch for boats and jet skis.
BLACK ROCK CANAL PARK BARK PARK RULES
All users are hereby advised that the Bark Park is an unsupervised recreational area of the Erie County Department of Parks, Recreation & Forestry.
All users are further advised that the use of this facility is at their own risk.
- Users must abide by all rules and regulations governing the use of Erie County Park and Recreation Lands and must comply with the directions of the Parks Department Personnel.
- Bark Park Hours:
7 AM – 9 PM Summer: Memorial Day-Labor Day
7 AM – Dusk Winter: Labor Day- Memorial Day
- Dog owners are legally and financially responsible for any property damage or personal injury inflicted by their dogs.
- Children 12 years and under must be accompanied and closely supervised by an adult.
- There is a limit of two dogs per supervising adult within the Bark Park area.
- Dogs with a history of dangerous or aggressive behavior are prohibited. Dogs who display aggression toward people or other dogs must be removed immediately.
- Puppies under the age of four (4) months are prohibited and dogs over six (6) months of age must be spayed or neutered.
- All Dogs must be properly licensed, vaccinated and wear a collar and ID with updated information.
- Rabies, Distemper and Parvo Vaccinations are required.
- Bordetella (Kennel Cough) and Leptospirosis Vaccinations are recommended.
- All Dogs must be leashed prior to entering and exiting the fenced area. All dogs must be off-leash while inside the Bark Park area.
- Dog owners must be in verbal command of their dogs and have a leash ready at all times. Dogs must never be left unattended or out of sight.
- Owners must pick up after their dogs and refrain from any littering.
- The Bark Park is divided into two areas for small and large dogs. Small dogs (30 lbs. or less) shall not be allowed in the large dog area. Large dogs (31 lbs. or more) shall not be allowed in the small dog area.
- Glass containers and food are NOT allowed in the Bark Park area.
- Feeding or giving of dog treats to other dogs than your own is not permitted.
- In an emergency, call 911 or your veterinarian.
The park originated as two separate areas- Cornelius Creek and the Ontario Street Boat Launch. The two areas were combined into one park in May 2013.