Scoby Dam

  • fishing   hiking   picknicking

Activities

Fishing, hiking, picnicking.

Park Facilities

Dogs must be curbed and leashed at all times. Department of Parks, Recreation and Forestry regulations apply.

The hours of operation are 7:00 AM- dusk.

History

Scoby Dam Park is a linear strip of land along Cattaraugus Creek and is a mecca for fishing. The passive park takes advantage of its superb siting on the Creek, including fishing, informal kayak access, hiking and the beautiful scenery at the southern end of Erie County. Scoby Hill Dam is the site of a small turn-of-the-century hydroelectric generating facility on Cattaraugus Creek, and at one time generated a small percentage of the Village of Springville’s electricity. The dam was constructed in 1924 and is 30-feet high. The existing building is in very good condition, it and the Dam are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The site affords scenic views of the creek and dam. Currently, Scoby Hill Road ends at Cattaraugus Creek near the dam. The bridge, which formerly carried Scoby Hill Road across Cattaraugus Creek, was removed after the 1998 summer flooding and there are no plans to rebuild it. The creek bank suffered a great deal of erosion in the June 1998 storm. The Army Corps of Engineers is currently developing a plan to open the access upstream to various fish populations that will make this area a primary fishing destination in Erie County. A rest stop along Cascade Road is maintained by the County. It contains a small picnic shelter and a large area of maintained turf.

Facilities / Activities

  • Fishing, Hiking, Picnicking
Image
Image
Image
Image
Changed
12/03/2021 - 8:54 am